WHAT WE DODesign Review | Education | RHFAC | Research
We work World Wide
UNIVERSAL DESIGN RECOMMENDATIONS
Level Playing Field reviews, analyzes and provides recommendations and Universal Design solutions in all urban environments through industry expertise and first-hand lived experiences. We provide design development services for universally accessible spaces for a variety of clients including education, government, hospitality, healthcare, residential, office, retail, recreation, and transportation. Level Playing Field saves clients money and future headaches by building in accessibility features from the start, thereby future proofing the built environment. Making environments more inclusive and streamlining the processes for design, construction and management.
Our design services include:
- Auditing existing spaces for accessibility and inclusivity
- Drawing review of new projects for accessibility and inclusivity
- Providing accessibility recommendations throughout design development
- New and existing streetscape best practice recommendations
- Public realm accessibility and inclusivity
- Barrier-free code compliance and accessibility best practice recommendations
- Accessibility and inclusivity for events
- Risk management and life safety specific to accessibility
- Emergency procure planning
Level Playing Field provides courses, workshops and presentations for advocates, architects, designers, builders, engineers, service providers, government agencies and other industry professionals and the general public.
Our education services include:
- Customized inclusive behaviours training
- Providing Universal Design seminars/presentations
- Training on how to make and keep your home, office or other space universally accessible
- Emergency procure training
Rick Hansen Foundation Accessibility Certification™ (RHFAC)
Level Playing Field proudly offers the Rick Hansen Foundation Accessibility Certification™ (RHFAC). This LEED-style program but more so aligns with WELL™ is hosted by CSA Group, measures the level of meaningful access that a commercial, institutional, or multi-unit residential building and site provides.
A rating of “Accessible” or “Accessible Gold” can be listed on the public registry and qualify for obtaining a plaque or label, showcasing your accessibility commitment to potential clients.
For more information on the RHFAC program, and to book your rating please visit the RHFAC website or Patrick White on the RHFAC site. Patrick White’s RHFAC Profile
Level Playing Field researches user needs, actual accessibility of products and environments, the impact of Universal Design and creates solutions to overcome barriers in accessibility.
Our research services include:
- Advancing knowledge of universal design principles
- Identifying user needs
- Conducting design and market research
- Evaluating universal design solutions
HOW WE ARE DIFFERENT FROM ARCHITECTS/DESIGNERS
We deal strictly with accessibility and are experts in the field. Our team’s lived experiences allows us to go beyond building codes to make ‘best-practice’ recommendations. In our experiences, building codes are not enough to ensure full accessibility and inclusivity. Codes do not address a variety of accessibility issues for both disabled persons as well as others who may require accessibility features such as seniors and families. Often buildings are constructed to meet barrier-free codes which are still considered inaccessible by many persons utilizing them. Level Playing Field is striving to ensure accessibility features are implemented efficiently and correctly the first time in all environments, ultimately future-proofing the project against costly renovations or retrofits.